Well I’m pretty disappointed about the MotoGP being cancelled, again. Though as I’m currently in a lockdown that we don’t know when it will end… maybe I would have missed it at any rate.
So the alternative plan is being considered. At the moment, it’s pretty close to the original, but without the days in Melbourne. So instead of eight days away, it will be six.
- Down Kangaroo Pass then to Merimbula
- Merimbula, over the hills to Cooma, then across the Snowies via Cabramura, through to Tallangata
- Tallangata over the Alps, then through Gippsland to Healesville
- Healesville through Black Spur to Eildon, Mansfield and Khancoban
- Khancoban over the Alpine Way to Canberra
- Leaving Canberra decide whether to go my usual way or through Abercrombie.
Four nights camping. One night at friends (or maybe not, I’m likely to be a bit smelly by then!).
There are options along the way to reroute if weather looks particularly bad on any legs, such as taking the coast road on the first day, or heading to Canberra if the coast is miserable etc.
(I’m not saying I won’t be showering or changing clothes, but it will still be 5 days on the road by then).
As a different what if…. what if I went North. Tried ummm… I don’t really know what’s up there past Newcastle.. My ancient (2009) Hema motorcycle atlas talks about Thunderbolts Way, Bucketts Way and the Oxley. All those I’ve heard of. I could head up Putty to Singleton way, then carry on northwards. Wouldn’t be crossing any state borders (which I hope would no longer be an issue by then) and is likely to be warmer.
It would all be new that way….
Update: Maybe I’ll make two plans. One where I can travel across state borders, one where I can’t.