Ha, bet that got your attention. No, all is well at home, this post is about bikes.
Recently Mrs Mab suggested that maybe it’s time to look into a new bike. My current ride, a 2004 VFR800, I’ve had since, well 2004, and I’m not silly enough to seek confirmation of her suggestion (in case she changes her mind).
I’ve had my eye on this recently.
This morning I got to have a ride of the Demo bike at the dealership.
First impressions (compared to my VFR)
- very narrow at the seat, but taller
- felt like the front was missing…. no fairing, panel is set closer in etc.
- pegs a lot closer to the ground so legs are a lot straighter. That was a big surprise.
Fired it up and a nice V-twin warble from the pipes. Bit of a crackle. Very nice sound and I wonder what other pipes would sound like on it. Then we left on the demo ride, basically a follow the leader with a guy from the shop and a couple of others testing other bikes (a BMW S1000RR and a couple of K1300).
- Awesome brakes
- neat sound
- very responsive engine once you’re over about 3000rpm.
- hopeless shaky mirrors (but I think all Ducati’s have that problem!)
- Easy to ride and a fairly upright position
But I finished up feeling a lot less interested than when I left. Really not sure what to do now. Not sure if I want to try another bike, or another style of bike. Or do I use the money I am saving for the replacement bike to upgrade/service parts of the VFR.
The immediate result is that my trusted VFR isn’t getting replaced or supplemented.